What is Akamai Netsession Interface?
Akamai NetSession Interface is a secure, computer-installable application that improves the speed, reliability, and efficiency of downloading applications, data, media, and streaming video from the Internet.
In other words, it is a tool that can help you enjoy the faster, more reliable applications, data and media downloads from a variety of sources you choose.
Many software and media publishers use it to deliver files or stream media to users.
If the software or media publisher uses this feature and you enable it, Netsession can use a small amount of upload bandwidth to enable other users of the NetSession Interface to download some of the publisher’s content from your computer.
When you do not actively download content, the NetSession Interface runs in the background and consumes very little computer resources or upload bandwidth.
Summarized as follows:
- It is the best delivery firmware, more reliable on-demand downloaded software
- It is an extension of Akamai’s global server network, helping companies and their customers to complete more downloads more easily
- It is very secure and supports the best HTTPS / SSL security
So, you should know that Netsession Interface is not:
- It is not spyware, malware or other invasive software
- It is not a security threat and does not view or share any private data on your computer
- It will not be installed on your computer forever; you can remove it at any time
Will NetSession compromise my computer or invade my privacy?
The NetSession Interface is completely secure and does not contain spyware, adware, or viruses.
It does not collect and transfer your personal information, nor does it harm your computer.
The goal is to be a tool that improves download and streaming speeds, reliability, and efficiency.
How to view and control the activities it performs?
Netsession provides a console that allows you to view NetSession activity and administrative settings.
For the Windows system, open the Windows control panel and then click the “Akamai NetSession Interface control panel” icon or link to do that.
For Mac OS x, the AKAMAI EXTENSION ICON can be found under “other” — “Akamai” — in the system preferences pane.
Does the software affect the upload or download speed?
When you are not actively downloading content, the NetSession Interface runs in the background and consumes very little computer resources or upload bandwidth. It has no noticeable effect on your calculations.
There have been instances of, particularly busy computers experiencing reduced download performance under high-bandwidth usage. If you suspect this has happened and you have enabled NetSession uploads, you can pause or disable uploads and see if there are differences.
As mentioned above, run Control Panel / System Preferences. Select the Preferences tab and pause or disable uploading.
If you disable uploads, uploads cannot continue until you re-enable this feature. Please note: Some software or media publishers may require you to enable uploads while using their services.
NetSession seems to be uploading content even if no upload is performed. Why is that?
When downloading or streaming, the Akamai NetSession Interface needs to communicate with the download or streaming source to request more data or to let the source know that the data has been successfully received, the source server is informed that Netsession is “up and running. ”
When streaming or downloading, a small number of uploads always occur.
Can I temporarily stop NetSession?
Of course, you can.
Note: If you do this, all current NetSession downloads or streaming will be interrupted until you restart the service or restart your computer.
How to temporarily stop NetSession?
- As described above, run the Control Panel / System Preferences interface.
- Select the “Preferences” tab
- Under Services, click the Stop button.
- The button will change to “Start” and you can click the “Start” button at any time to restart the service. After restarting the machine, the service will restart automatically again.
How to uninstall the NetSession Interface?
Before uninstalling, consider whether you urgently need to uninstall the service, and it is best not to uninstall because other downloads or streaming may require NetSession later.
In addition, Akamai NetSession Interface is a shared network library that may be used by multiple applications. Only after uninstalling other applications using this interface can they be uninstalled properly. If other applications find but cannot find the NetSession Interface, they may not function properly.
If you decide to uninstall the service, you will delete files downloaded to the NetSession cache folder.
For Windows to uninstall
- In the Windows Control Panel, run Add or Remove Programs.
- Select “Akamai NetSession Interface”
- Click Change / Remove, and then click Yes to confirm your selection.
For Macintosh to uninstall
- Use the finder to go to the NetSession Interface installation folder, usually located at ~ / Applications / Akamai /
- Double-click the uninstaller application and confirm the operation.